Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Sweden’s ”national day”, sort of

Today, the 6th of June, is Sweden’s “national holiday”. It is our Independence Day (4th of July in the US) or Bastille Day (14th of July in France). But it is an awkward day, it only recently became a holiday, and we don’t really know how to celebrate it yet.

It is somewhat telling that in the Wikipedia-list explaining why different countries celebrate their national holiday, Sweden’s entry is blank. However, the reason is that in 1523 Gustav Vasa was elected King on the 6th of June, and in 1809 Sweden promulgated a new Constitution on this very date. Not really like storming the Bastille or declaring independence from Great Britain…

However, although I am not a big fan of the nation state, I am proud to be a Swede and I am about to meet up some friends. We will try to celebrate this day the best we can. And when I think of Sweden today, I must admit I start thinking about the World Cup right away. Only three days away, folks.

So, please don’t miss this week’s cover of the magazine Fokus, a cover that will make any Swede start dreaming (Zlatan scores a goal while Ronaldinho is panicking). And to warm up, why don’t watch Zlatan’s classic goal against Italy in 2004, and Henrik Larsson’s beautiful header against Bulgaria the same year…

The 90 minutes against Trinidad & Tobago on Saturday feels more exciting than our King giving a speech somewhere today, but I will give this day a try. And then wait for Saturday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Claes Nordmark said...

I agree Eric!

And remember to keep your phone close when we´re playing Trinidad & Tobago - I´ll give you a call from Dortmund where I´m watching the game live ;-)

6/6/06 20:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home