Tuesday, August 02, 2005

If we had a European federation...

My last day in Portugal, where I have been to the ECOSY summer camp, was indeed very nice. I hang out in Lisbon with some Irish comrades and to the very end the solidarity of our movement was evident as four persons crammed into a hotel room to save some money. Today Tuesday I was bound to fly Lisbon-Madrid-Stockholm with Iberia but after a terrible day that made flying with SAS look like heaven I missed my flight from Madrid to Stockholm. So here I am, sitting in a tragic hotel next to the aiport in Madrid, feeling however quite ok after eating a huge buffet of all kinds of food for free, and then finding out that Liverpool FC won tonight's game in the CL. But when I was standing in lines, getting more and more delayed, the only thing I could think about was our ECOSY utopia of a European federation that could buy an airline like Iberia and then shutting it down on behalf of stressed social democrat who only wanted to get home to Stockholm and then go to the SSU-congress in Linkoping... But now things have calmed down, and the purpose of a more integrated Europe is not to shut down airlines, that was just me being very upset. Promise. However, my blogging from the congress is delayed, but hopefully I will be in Linkoping tomorrow afternoon. If my flight home is on time, that is...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, vi längtar efter dig! Hoppas att resandet går bra :)

3/8/05 04:54  
Blogger Eric Sundström said...

Jag är här nu Anna! Men: res aldrig aldrig med Iberia...

4/8/05 16:23  
Blogger Jukka said...

Wazzup my revolutionary friend? Remember me? Let's buy some Iberia shares, go to the annual general meeting and revolutionise the company. I want bigger packets of peanuts and more vodka in my Bloody Marys on all Iberia flights!!!

5/8/05 08:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric!

Agree on the point about Iberia - SAS is paradise in comparison... But there is a fair point in here somewhere - the EU has been great at bring down barriers to allow carriers like Ryanair to open, but when it comes to other areas of transport we have a problem.

The French reckon the EU is a threat to SNCF for example... Now if the European federation could run top-quality state-run transport firms like SNCF, that would be an excellent idea.

8/8/05 17:19  
Blogger Eric Sundström said...

Jukka: Most naturally I remember you and the combination of drinks and good discussions in London and Cascais. I will start following your blog, looks like it will be a good source when it comes to news about Finnish politics in English.

Jon: Our common federal utopia will of course include an EU-SNCF! We just have to convince our French friends about the quickest way there...

16/8/05 18:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home