Monday, January 23, 2006

"The West Wing" ends in May: no season eight

Not too much of a surprise maybe, but I just read that "The West Wing" will end on May 14 (i.e. when the last episode of season seven is shown in the US; there will be no season eight). Quoting Maria Elena Fernandez in LA Times (full article here):

"When President Josiah Bartlet's second term runs out on "The West Wing" this spring, NBC's portrayal of the inside workings of the White House also will draw to a close. The network and the show's executive producer, John Wells, have decided to end the award-winning critical darling after a new president is elected.

One of the last decade's most honored series, with 25 Emmys, including four consecutive wins as best drama from 2000 to 2003, "The West Wing" holds the record for most Emmys won by a series in a single season (nine in its first) and has earned 90 nominations to date. But the series has been losing audience over the last few years and has averaged 8.4 million viewers this year, its lowest audience ever."

Just to assure everyone: I am not devastated. I am not on my way to a bar, I know that all good things must pass. I prefer “The West Wing” to end naturally when Bartlet steps down (not resigns, thanks Mike), which is better than twisting the show over and over again in order to attract new audiences.

Season six, which I thought was very good, starts on Swedish TV tonight, and I am looking forward to watching season seven. And then, all that is left to be said is: thanks for the ride, C.J., Toby, Josh, Donna, Leo, Sam, Charlie, and POTUS of course. We promise to kick some Republican ass in the real world.

4 Comments:

Blogger mike d said...

um... unless something mouch more interesting than I expected happened after I stopped watching, I assume Bartlett will be stepping down after two terms, and not "resigning"?

24/1/06 05:27  
Blogger Eric Sundström said...

Thanks Mike, my bad, I also assume he will step down and not resign (having said so, I have not seen season 7).

24/1/06 17:28  
Blogger Elijah said...

this show is marvelous.the writing acting and direction is arguably. you can enjoy all episode here. Download west wing tv show here.......

14/11/08 10:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The secret to this show is that it is, at heart, a comedy, even when tragic things are happening. The camera seems to move as quickly as the people, following one conversation,Try to Download west wing Episode

20/11/08 07:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home