Thursday, March 09, 2006

There’s always a next season

After missing a million and one chances Liverpool is out of the Champions League. We did not beat Benfica 2-0 yesterday; we lost 0-2. One can always rely on the infamous Nick Hornby quote: 'I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women: suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it'. If you think this quote is just stupid, you don’t really like football.

Anyway, I watched the second half with a Finnish friend who is in town at the new O’Learys bar at Stockholm’s central station. We ended up talking to an English guy and I asked him what he thought of Robbie Fowler coming back to Liverpool. His response, “a poor man’s Michael Owen”, still hurts today as our inability to score sent us out of the Champions League. But “there is always a next season”, as a drunk Scotsman once told me at The Halt Bar in Glasgow.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Eric, men det bästa laget vann i alla fall. Viva Benfica! :-)

9/3/06 11:05  
Blogger Eric Sundström said...

Med tanke på Benficas fina historia och Teresas support under finalen förra året när Liverpool vände mot Milan, så lovar jag att hålla en tumme för Benfica framöver...

9/3/06 14:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SLB, SLB, Glorioso SLB!
Great match at Anfield, great goals, I think we were the best team in the two matches.
Sorry Eric...
Abraço!

Tomé (MJS Belgium)

9/3/06 21:57  
Blogger Eric Sundström said...

Tomé! It's ok, I have always liked Benfica and I wish you all the best of luck in the next round. Since you are facing Barcelona, I guess you need it.
Eric

10/3/06 20:12  
Blogger Jukka said...

What's a nice young chap like you doing supporting a bunch of scousers? Honestly. I had such high hopes for you.

14/3/06 21:29  
Blogger Eric Sundström said...

And what team are you suporting, my friend?? Have you also won the European Cup/Champions League five times... ;-)

15/3/06 11:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home